Unit 4 Reflection

In this unit, we talked about sex. Not that type of sex, but reproduction! Recently we done a coin sex lab to simulate the process of meiosis and reproduction. The coins had a dominant and recessive, heterozygous, trait or the same allele, homozygous, on the front and back of the coin. Then you and your partner would flip it and see what "your child" would have, whether it was to determine if it was a boy or girl, or if it had bipolar disorder. In the dihybrid cross simulation, there were varieties of traits. It had 16 different genotypes, unlike the monohybrid, where there were 4 genotypes. The limit of using probability to predict our offsring's traits was was limited. It could help you find the average for the traits, but the probability will not be correct all the time. I was just a way to compare to the punnett squares that we had developed. By understanding this concept, I understand the concept of genes and recombination. In life, I will potentially have a child that will inherit traits from me. It could be an autosomal dominance trait, like my widows peak, or a X-linked recessive trait, like the scary hemophilia.

That lab was done to help us understand the unit question: "Why is Sex so great?". We first learned about the types of reproduction, sexual and asexual. To comprehend this concept, we had to read a story in the point of view of animals and bacteria. You can read about this in my other blog post that is titled, "Is Sex Important". Next, were the chromosomes and cells involved in reproduction. This also included what meiosis was and how it was related to sex. The whole idea of reproduction and how characteristics are passed down was coined by Gregor Mendel. He came up with two laws because of his flower labs. Then, we learned about autosomal and X-linked inheritance.

My strength in this unit was the comprehension of reproduction. I found it easy to remember the advantages and disadvantages of the reproduction. One of my weaknesses in this unit was the two laws from Mendel. The way it was worded when we were taught it wasn't as clear as I wanted. I still do not fully understand these law, but I do have a general idea of what it is all about. From the infographic project we were assigned, I learned a lot about time management. This huge assignment had many steps that were all time consuming, such as planning out the content and adding your own graphic. I probably shouldn't have made most of my graphics because it took way too long to do.

I am a much better student than I was a few months ago, or even a month ago. Because of all these assignments and labs, I have a better grasp on teamwork. I even worked on my initiative skills with the coin lab. I feel like I took charge because I had a greater understanding than anyone else in my group. I do have many more questions that relate to everyday life, but I can apply what I already know to the problem to solve it. I want to learn more about genetics and the inheritance behind the making.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's coming to an end: 20-Time Individual Refelction

Poor Piggy: Pig Dissection Lab