Unit 5 Reflection

This unit was titled "Walking the Dogma", which refers to the central dogma. The central dogma shows the process of DNA changing into mRNA to protein. First, we talked about the general idea of our genetic code, DNA. It is a double helix and is made of nucleotides, which one is made up of a nitrogen base, a phosphate group, and a sugar. Nitrogen bases come in two types: purines (adenine and guanine) and pyrimidines (thymine and cytosine). DNA has to copy itself and reproduce another in order for both cells to be identical during the cell cycle. To do so, it unzips and matches itself with another nucleotides. It results in two identical strands. We move on to the main event: central dogma. The DNA is transcribed in the nucleus and is read by the RNA polymerase. Like in the process before the cell cycle, the DNA unzips. After, RNA polymerase matches the remaining nucleotides to others to make RNA strands. The next step is translation, changing the RNA into amino acids. The mRNA gets read three bases at a time, which are called a codon. Changes in the gene are mutations. They have two main type: substitution and frame shift, that includes insertion and deletion. Other minor mutations are inversion and translocation. Lastly, there is gene expression and regulation. This is used to make a trait/phenotype and can determine whether it increases or decreases the expression of a gene.

This was probably the hardest unit for me to comprehend. I think that I understood the process of the central dogma very well after the Protein Synthesis Lab (Click the link to read more about it!). The last vodcast that was introduced seem to be the hardest to understand. Gene expression and regulation was a verbose subject that contain hard concepts. The DNA model we constructed in class help me understand the idea of antiparallel DNA. It taught me to use my time wisely because there was a short time limit to make it. I really want to learn more about mutations and interesting stories about mutation. It is so fascinating that even the slightest of change in gene can cause a huge impact on someone's life.

To be a good student, the person has to be motivated to learn, willing to learn something new, has a positive mind set, and tries to conquer through even if they are having a hard time. I believe that I have all these characteristics. In the beginning of the semester, I was afraid to ask for help or to ask questions, which was preventing myself to be the version that shines with potential. Now, I am more comfortable with our class setting and the people I converse with. With finals around the corner, I tried different study habits that are working and fully effective. I created an outline of "dead week" showing what I will primarily focus on that specific day. To all who have finals, good luck and try to get some sleep ^ - ^

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's coming to an end: 20-Time Individual Refelction

Poor Piggy: Pig Dissection Lab